A HARD DAY'S NIGHT
What an amazing night! Just amazing. I am soooooooooo lucky that I got tickets, (long story, involving perseverance and a 15 minute TicketMaster screwup) -- and not just tickets, but GREAT seats half way up the Tier just to the left of home plate. I must have done something to please the karma gods recently.
• Can’t decide favorite moment:
• The opening ceremonies, with 49 of the living Hall of Fame members, including Yogi, Whitey, Goose — and four of my childhood idols from the SF Giants: the Willies (Mays & McCovey), Juan Marichal & Orlando Cepeda.
• Yogi, Whitey, Goose & Reggie throwing the ceremonial first pitch(es) to Joe G, Mo, Jeet & A-Rod.
• Mo coming in from the bullpen with 1 out in the 9th, to those wonderful opening notes of Metallica's Sandman.
• The whole Sharks v. Jets thang. (Hey! I don't wear no steenking red.)
• Booing Papelbum – and watching him screw up.
• The entire stadium shouting "Mar-i-an-o" and "Under-Rated" when Papelbum was pitching (In case you didn't read it, FishFace publicly said he should be closing the game).
• The Village People singing YMCA with the groundskeepers.
• Tito (truly a classy guy) inviting Girardi to join him, and Girardi (ditto) insisting on sharing his manager's office with Tito.
• Girardi warming up Mo.
• The Nike booth with the fabulous huge massive posters of Mo inscribed with our Yankees mantra, "We Stay For All Nine."
• The simple "Bobby 1946-2008" sign on stadium. (We're going to miss you Bobby Murcer, very much), and the tribute to him during the game.
• Bald Vinny and the Bleacher Creatures (who all stayed for all 15) doing roll call for Jeter, Pretty Boy — and Bobby Murcer.
• No Roger, no Bonds.
• The "Let's Go Yankees" chant when there were no Yankees on the field.
• Josh Groban getting booed because he was wearing a red shirt -- and and then giving everybody goosebumps with the most beautiful rendition of God Bless America I’ve ever heard.
• JOSH HAMILTON!!!!!!!!!!! (Ooops, that's Monday night).
• We missed you, Bob Sheppard. Our thoughts are with you to come back soon.
• Booing Francona and Manny even tho we all secretly like them both.
• Cheering JD Drew (never mind his laundry). He earned that MVP.
• Definitely not my favorite moment: Once again, weasel A-Rod showing his complete lack of class by departing the stadium after he was taken out of the game around the 5th. (I will restrain from repeating all the comments involving Madonna and early bed times.)
• Jeter. ("We stay for all nine." Make that 15.)
• George crying.
• Maalox Mo pitching 2 innings and as usual, getting out of a nailbiter jam.
• Did i say Mo?
• The 14th inning stretch.
• The great headlines in the Monday morning Post: “Late Late Show” and “Marlin has Uggly Night.”
• Joe Buck and not Jon Miller.
• All the reruns of Yankees highlights, showing my all-time favorite Yankees moment, the Aaron Boone homerun.
• Like too many Yankees game, the inability to get someone across home plate with no outs and the bases loaded.
• David Baker of my LTN edit board text messaging me with every batter.
• Aura & Mystique and the ghosts of Babe, Mick, Lou, Maris, et al, finally arriving at about 1:30 a.m. so we could finally go home.
• Thank you Mr. Young and Mr. Morneau (but you really shoulda handed that Monday night trophy right over to Josh.)
• Finally hearing Frank at 1:37.
• A seat on the subway at 2 a.m.
Images courtesy of Yankees, Daily News, and Nike. Click to enlarge.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A HARD DAY'S NIGHT :
...That's the kind of recap I like Monica...my imagination ran with your quick account. WELL DONE!
Posted by: Stewart Levine | Jul 18, 2008 1:08:20 PM
Thank you for this recap, a great article! I must give honorable mention to the Los Angeles Dodgers Catcher Russell Martin. He proved to the world that he is the best Catcher in the game today. He made me very proud with his stellar defensive efforts. Have a great day!
Posted by: Charles Peck of DOD | Jul 18, 2008 2:18:13 PM